Our Innovative Technology
BrainsWay’s patented breakthrough treatment based on Deep TMS begins a new era in brain stimulation and research. This non-invasive and effective treatment activates deep brain structures by using directed electromagnetic fields that generate excitation or inhibition of neurons deep inside the brain.
Our Patented Coil Structure
BrainsWay’s Deep TMS flagship technology is based on the H-Coil, which features a novel patented structure designed to maximize electrical stimulation of deep brain regions and includes the following unique features:
- Coil elements tangential to the head and close to target brain regions
- Flexible base suited to head shape
- Convergence of numerous electric pulses from various directions
- Coil elements parallel to target bundles
- Location of return paths of electrical impulses remote from target area
H-1 Helmet for Major Depression
BrainsWay’s treatment was cleared by the FDA** in 2013 for patients who tried any number of antidepressants with no improvement (in the current depressive episode). The FDA indication is based on a unique long-term 16-week double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-center study* which enrolled over 200 subjects, and reported a marked decline in HDRS-21 scores, as well as significant remission (32.6%) and response (38.4%) rates at the primary endpoint of the study after four weeks of acute treatment. In the study, treatment with BrainsWay’s H-1 coil helmet was proven to be safe, and the treatment was well tolerated by the majority of the study subjects. The H-1 helmet is also in clinical trials at various stages for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Schizophrenia.
H-7 Helmet for OCD
In 2018, BrainsWay’s Deep TMS technology was cleared by the FDA (De Novo) for the treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. In 11 clinical studies worldwide, patients who had not responded to SSRIs and/or psychotherapy and received treatment for six consecutive weeks experienced a significant reduction in their OCD symptoms. BrainsWay’s H-7 coil, specifically designed to treat OCD, is the only TMS technology platform cleared by the FDA for this purpose.
Going Deeper for Better Results
Studies have shown that the depth and wide range of brain stimulation significantly and positively impact the results, as is shown in the following quotes:
- “Many behavioral manifestations of neurological and psychiatric diseases are not solely the result of abnormality in one isolated brain region but represent alterations in brain networks and connectivity” (Fox et al. Neurolmage 2012).
- “Deeper (ventral) PFC structures have significantly more connections with other reward system sites compared to superficial PFC” (Leh et al., 2007).
- “There is significant inter-individual variability in the exact location of DLPFC sites having functional connectivity with subgenual cingulate“ (Fox et al. Neuroimage 2012)
- “Effective response to standard TMS in MDD is strongly correlated with resting state functional connectivity between DLPFC stimulation sites and subgenual cingulate“ (Fox et al. Biol. Psychiatry 2012).
- “Individualized targeting becomes less important with larger stimulation field sizes” (Fox et al. Biol. Psychiatry 2012)