Our Innovative Technology
BrainsWay’s patented breakthrough treatment based on Deep TMS begins a new era in brain stimulation and research. This non-invasive and effective treatment activates deep brain structures by using directed electromagnetic fields that generate excitation or inhibition of neurons deep inside the brain.
Our Patented Coil Structure
BrainsWay’s Deep TMS flagship technology is based on the H-Coil, which features a novel patented structure designed to maximize electrical stimulation of deep brain regions and includes the following unique features:
- Coil elements tangential to the head and close to target brain regions
- Flexible base suited to head shape
- Convergence of numerous electric pulses from various directions
- Coil elements parallel to target bundles
- Location of return paths of electrical impulses remote from target area
H-1 Helmet for Major Depression
BrainsWay’s treatment was cleared by the FDA** in 2013 for patients who tried any number of antidepressants with no improvement (in the current depressive episode). The FDA indication is based on a unique long-term 16-week double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-center study* which enrolled over 200 subjects, and reported a marked decline in HDRS-21 scores, as well as significant remission (32.6%) and response (38.4%) rates at the primary endpoint of the study after four weeks of acute treatment. In the study, treatment with BrainsWay’s H-1 coil helmet was proven to be safe, and the treatment was well tolerated by the majority of the study subjects. The H-1 helmet is also in clinical trials at various stages for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Schizophrenia.
H-7 Helmet for OCD
In 2018, BrainsWay’s Deep TMS technology was cleared by the FDA (De Novo) for the treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. In 11 clinical studies worldwide, patients who had not responded to SSRIs and/or psychotherapy and received treatment for six consecutive weeks experienced a significant reduction in their OCD symptoms. BrainsWay’s H-7 coil, specifically designed to treat OCD, is the only TMS technology platform cleared by the FDA for this purpose.
BrainsWay R&D is always in forward motion. Here is a look at our current developments:
BrainsWay’s closed loop/real-time dTMS EEG stimulation optimizes and personalizes treatment using brain rhythms. Closed-loop stimulation uses real-time analysis of EEG recordings, which enables triggering of TMS pulses at exactly the time of target EEG events. Customized for accuracy and reliability, Brainsway’s novel design ensures sub-millisecond signal analysis, enabling a time resolution of 1 millisecond.
Designed for research, the system is fully customizable*, allowing full control over input and output parameters. Offering a full suite of brain state measurements, the system enables the practitioner to synchronize stimulation to a full range of brain activity, from a single region to the full neuronal network.
- Integrated into real-time operating system
- Designated drivers for EEG component
- Compensates within 0.05 Hz for any jitter
- Uses simple, front-end interface
- Integrates with Brainsway’s Patient Management System
- Cloud Ready for EEG data storage and analysis
*Bundled with BrainsWay’s dTMS system, real-time EEG provides the researcher full control over input and output parameters using a simple front-end interface, increasing the accuracy and efficacy of the treatment process.
Utilizing more than one coil simultaneously during TMS treatment allows a number of clinical protocols. A sampling of use cases include:
- PAS – Paired Associative Stimulation can be mimicked by the multi-channel stimulator.
- Rotational – More options for positioning and timing allows enlistment of more neurons, enhancing treatment.
- High/low frequencies – for co-morbid conditions such as stroke and depression, the stimulator can deliver high and low frequencies at the same time.
BrainsWay’s technology is based on patents filed by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the company. The treatment has been enthusiastically embraced by the international academic community, with over 60 clinical trials in leading institutions worldwide.
Going Deeper for Better Results
Studies have shown that the depth and wide range of brain stimulation significantly and positively impact the results, as is shown in the following quotes:
- “Many behavioral manifestations of neurological and psychiatric diseases are not solely the result of abnormality in one isolated brain region but represent alterations in brain networks and connectivity” (Fox et al. Neurolmage 2012).
- “Deeper (ventral) PFC structures have significantly more connections with other reward system sites compared to superficial PFC” (Leh et al., 2007).
- “There is significant inter-individual variability in the exact location of DLPFC sites having functional connectivity with subgenual cingulate“ (Fox et al. Neuroimage 2012)
- “Effective response to standard TMS in MDD is strongly correlated with resting state functional connectivity between DLPFC stimulation sites and subgenual cingulate“ (Fox et al. Biol. Psychiatry 2012).
- “Individualized targeting becomes less important with larger stimulation field sizes” (Fox et al. Biol. Psychiatry 2012)